About CIM, The Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum
CIM was formed only 31 years after Canada was founded – the result of individuals in the mining industry seeking a vehicle for lobbying for safety laws and workers’ protection, as well as a method of ensuring the communication of ideas. Led by a very capable group of dedicated members, CIM soon came to attract new members from all across Canada.
The Institute was incorporated in 1898 by an Act of the Parliament of Canada as the Canadian Mining Institute. In 1920, it became the Canadian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy, and in 1990, the Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum.
The Society is composed technical sections, representing the technical diversity of the metals, minerals and materials community, and of standing committees dedicated to the various member services of the Society. Each section and committee establishes a yearly program of activities in response to its member’s interests.
MetSoc - A Society of CIM
In 1945, the Metallurgy Division was formed to reflect the group’s technical interests. Constituted as a Society in 1967, the Metallurgical Society (MetSoc) is one of the societies making up the Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy, and Petroleum. In October of 2010, the Society adopted its new name The Metallurgy and Materials Society.